Making a Difference the Right Way...
This week I returned back to teaching after very long spring break. My kids are working on one of their formal essays and getting right back down to business. On Friday one of my students told me that he might not have his paper done on time because he doesn't have a computer at home. He said he usually gives the paper to his mom to type at work, but right now him and his mother are having problems. I asked him if everything at home was ok and if there was anything he needed. He told me that he is gay and his mom just found out and is freaking out about it.
Because I grew up with a brother who was gay, I am sensitive to the issues and the community. Ironically, I've never told my students I have a gay brother. I keep super personal things to myself. However, 3 of my students have told me they were gay this semester.
So, after my student told me I suggested he let his counselor know what is going on in his life. He didn't like that idea right off the bat, but I explained to him that this is exactly the type of thing counselors are trained to do. I also encouraged him by letting him know that he might need support and it's good that his counselor knows what's going on. So, I told his counselor and sent him up to talk with her. When he returned he simply said, "Miss C, thanks for caring".
Wow, I felt pretty darned good and this was a small affirmation that I am in the right career. :)








1 Comments:
I truly envy you. It really is a great thing to make a difference in a kids life.
Post a Comment
<< Home