Student Samples of Using Art in the English Classroom
I wanted to share some examples of two methods of teaching vocabulary that I have recently used. First, for weekly vocabulary words I have the students do three things: write the word, write a brief definition of the word, illustrate the word. You will be surprised how effective this is. Students must process the word and really understand its meaning in order to illustrate this. Additionally, I use this method when teaching literary terms. I assign each student a chapter in our novel, a choice between two lit terms, then they find an example of that term in that chapter and illustrate the scene.
I hope you enjoy! I have some great artists and thought some of you might like this idea...plus it's a great way to decorate our rooms!

Pic 1

pic2
Personification "THE GOSSIPING OF THE LEAVES WITH THE BREEZE"

pic

pic








1 Comments:
I do a similar vocabulary activity - but I give the students the option to draw a picture (usually stick-figures) or write an additional sentence using the vocabulary word. I also ask that they try to find a couple of synonyms for each word... although I've had a couple ask why they can't just use "loud noise" instead of "cacophony." :)
Post a Comment
<< Home