Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: Something was Missing (Judaism) & Concerned Parent (teaching)

February 06, 2005

Something was Missing (Judaism) & Concerned Parent (teaching)

JUDAISM:Friday night I did a "Shabbat Connection". The UJF basically links up a dinner host with people who want to share shabbat with new people. So, I drove to the home of the host. There were seven of us, all about the same age. When it came time to light the candles, the guy didn't even have shabbat candles or candle holders. But another woman and I wanted to do the candles so we opted for tealights (the 3rd woman didn't want to do prayers with us). Then we sat down, poured wine did the quickest chamotzi and hagafen you've ever seen, and we ate. So, the company was nice and the food was good, but the feeling of Shabbat was kind of missing for me. I'll do this again though, maybe next time the people will be a little bit more traditional.

TEACHING:
The week went well overall, and then on Friday something new happened. I had to call a parent, as per request of the daughter, to let her mother know she really was after school with me getting help and not out doing things she shouldn't be. The mother told me she was leaving work early on Friday to come talk with the principal. First, she didn't set up an appointment, and second, she was concerned about a book I am teaching, yet, she never contacted me.

Parents can amaze me. I send home a course outline and a standards card, both listing the books we will read and requiring a parent signature. The book she is concerned with is "California Blue", by David Klass. This book is on the approved book list at the school and is taught my more than a couple teachers. This parent said that her daughter never reads or finishes books but she really really wanted to read this one and she just had to find out why. First thought I had? ENCOURAGE HER! SHE'S ENJOYING READING! This parent confessed to not reading the book but just flipped through it and was shocked at the subject matter. She couldn't believe her daughter was reading this in English. Realize, we already finished the book by last Friday, and their first formal essay, on this book, is due Monday. Ummm, mom, where were you for the last three weeks?

"California Blue" is about a high school boy who discovers a rare butterfly, struggles with a difficult decision regarding this, he has a crush on his science teacher and kisses her on the cheek (the teacher does not kiss him back), he has friends that drink and smoke pot, yet he decides to not do drugs (a positive message indeed), he deals with difficult decisions, problems of alienation from his town and family. The book deals with REAL teenage issues and though has a couple of suggestive parts, they are actually harmless and nothing vulgar ever happens.

After letting the mom know I understood her concerns and clarifying the book to her, I reminded her that the next book we'd be reading is "To Kill a Mockingbird". Immediately she tells me she has no problem with this novel, she read it years ago. I proceed to remind her that there is a detailed rape in the book and the "N" word is used repeatedly. She didn't mind that! WOW, no wonder our kids are so confused!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home