Bitter Sweet Changes
Today was the first and last day of a new chapter in my life. Beginning tomorrow I start my career as an official teacher. I feel like I should be planning or organizing or freaking out; but I'm not. I was sitting here thinking about the last 9.5 years I spent working for Kinko's (FedEx Kinko's now). 9.5 years at the same company when you know that it's not the career you want is a long time. I couldn't wait to finally finish Jr. College, then College, then the teaching credential program. Now, it's all over, I have a job and the day was filled with the sadness and emotion that comes when significant life changes come. Transition can be trying. I pride myself that I do handle change well. Though, today at work when my boss brought me in the breakroom and had a gorgeous cake and "congratulations" banner hanging, it was bitter sweet, and the tears fell. It's amazing how the people we work with become an integral part of our lives, even when we don't see it. The thing with me though, is that some of my very closest friends work with me and not seeing them daily will be so different. I will see them weekends for our tradition of breakfast;nevertheless, this time of transition is trying.
To had to the bittersweetness, I am concerned about my "status" as a teacher. Since I just finished the credential program I have yet to receive my C19 letter (this is the official document that enables me to be a credentialed teacher until the state, which is six months behind, sends me my official credential). Without this C19, I can not be hired as a fully contracted teacher and in that case, I don't know that I can survive on what they pay on an emergency credential. I was hired to the school at the end of the day before winter break so I have done none of the beureaucratic nonsense as of yet. Being the organized person I am (errr, used to be before teaching), I did follow up with the district and have begun getting other documentation needed for the position. I guess I'll keep my blog updated with the status of this. Legally, I can't teach without the C19 or emergency credential. And then, if I do have to go the emergency route, will they retro pay me once they receive my C19...UGGGGGHHH I hate uncertainties like this.
In all the madness I am thankful that my teacher roommate is a wonderful woman. I don't think I could have a better person to share a room with. She just called and gave me a sense of what the next three days will consist of: meeting, classroom prep, some meeting at the local university, department meetings, and well, I suppose my next three days will also include going to and from SDSU and the District to finish the paperwork that will make this new phase "official". I can't wait to just get into the teaching and know I have a solid paycheck coming in.








0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home