"Trembling Before G-d"
What does it really mean to be Jewish? This everpresent question plagues many Jews, particularly in the United States. With so many factors that go into the equation, it is no suprise that not only is the answer unclear to many; but there seemingly will never be a concensus. Why can't there be a concensus? Because we are Jews :) It is in our genes to question, to test, to challenge, to explore one's thoughts and notions on life, love, religion, G-d, and everything else inbetween.
Today I was at my favorite coffeehouse Twiggs and sitting near me was the Gay and Lesbian Times newspaper. The article in it that caught my eye is called "Trembling Before G-d". This article discusses the Jewish belief on homosexuality. Coming from a family that embraced our Jewish heritage, grandparents who were Orthodox and from the old country, it is no suprise that most things Jewish intrigue me on some level. Additionally, my oldest brother (may he rest in peace) was gay, and so this article intrigued me twofold. Having a family member who is part of an alternative lifestyle provided it's struggles growing up, and indirectly caused me to question if many religious "scholars" of various religions are just in condemning my brother.
This article discusses the idea that in Judaism, we are encouraged to question. It is truly at the core of great Jewish religious books and writings. This idea got me really thinking and discovering that the freedom to have my thoughts and to embrace them and question them is just one more quality of Judaism that I love.
The following is a brief excerpt from the article; and though the article may not sit well with everyone (i.e. the whole idea of a Jews for Jesus converting fully to Judaism), I encourage you to read it. I guarantee, there is at least one thing in the article that you can take with you...just as I have.
Mark Fish is a recent convert to Judaism.
“I grew up in a fundamentalist Christian home,” explains Fish. “You were not allowed to challenge the Bible. Asking questions was not encouraged. Answers were given to you as fact. And this was a major problem for me.”
Fish, who participated with a “Jews for Jesus” evangelical group, was introduced to Judaism through efforts in converting Jews to Christianity.
“The more I studied Judaism and the more I was encouraged to ask questions about myself, and my spiritual path, the more I began to understand that Judaism fit into that spiritual journey,” says Fish. “Theologically, the truth for me – where G-d brought me, was to a place where I need to ask questions but not be considered a heretic, to not accept answers as given and unexplainable, to challenge by using my head as well as my heart.”








0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home